Although many people are against the way Google operates, there is no question that their Google My Business is beneficial to get a company name on the internet with no cost.
When you create a business profile, you face exposure to people who are looking for a business such as yours. However, there are times when you have all this business information in place, and either circumstance change or you find mistakes in the entries.
Because all these information ties in with Google maps, you may find your location is nowhere near, where it should, and it is affecting consumers trying to locate products or services using a Google search.
However, it isn’t difficult to change your information or update Google listings. Here, you can learn how to do all this and more. (Read What is the Google Snack Pack)
By the end, your Google My Business will be up to date, and anyone can then find you in a search rather than skipping by you because of wrong information.
How Do I Edit My Google Business Page?
Before you edit your Google My Business page, you need to make sure you have set it up in the first place. You can follow this link to create your Google Business page https://business.google.com/create
Here’s how to edit Google business listing on your Google site
- Sign in to your Google My Business
- If there are multiple locations in your organization, select the desire location that needs updating
- Select ‘website’ from the menu (You can see the number of individuals who visit your page in the top left corner. You can see more traffic info, click Info’)
- Using the left-hand side panel, you can select which area of your site you wish to edit.
- Once complete, select ‘Done’
You will see there are quite a few areas you can edit. Some are cosmetic, yet other areas are how to change business address on Google, such as your location on Google maps, help center number and others.
- Theme – colours and fonts
- Text fields – ‘headlines and description etc.’
- Primary button – main button your customers will see
- Get directions – opens google maps with your location
- Call Now – prompts a phone call
- Message Us (SMS) – sends a message to your mobile number
- Message Us (WhatsApp) – sends a message to your WhatsApp
- Business information, including business name, address for Google maps, hours of operation, phone number, and business category.
You can find countless other options, yet these are some of the more common that need changing or editing within a Google listing update. Make sure your business name and phone number are correct, or no one will be able to make contact.
How Do I Edit My Information on Google?
You may find you need to change your personal information on Google devices outside of Google My Business.
You can see this is straightforward and can be done on your mobile device.
Add or change a profile picture
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the device ‘Settings’
- Tap on ‘Google’ and then Manage your Google Account Personal info
- Under ‘Profile,’ tap on ‘Photo.’ It may ask you to sign in here
- Tap on ‘Set Profile Photo.’ Select a picture, or take a new one. Press and hold as you drag it to the square
- Tap on ‘Accept’
Edit Your Name
- While inside your Google Account, tap on ‘Personal Info’
- Under ‘Profile’ tap on ‘Name Edit’
- Enter your correct name and tap on done
You can also change any other personal information you want while in this area.
How Do I Change Incorrect Information on Google?
When you find or are informed your Google My Business information is wrong, you will need to change it.
Here are the easy to follow steps for doing just that.
- Sign in to Google My Business and use card view rather than list view in the main menu
- Select any business profile listing that has incorrect information, and select ‘info’
- Locate any section you want to change or delete (clicking ‘x’ will delete)
- Make your changes or any deletions, and then click “Apply”
Things to Keep in Mind
Although it takes minutes to make changes, it can take a couple of months for changes to your business profile to take effect
All the instructions here are for Google My Business only
If you find Google adds a description next to your site, they won’t remove it, even if negative. Google will only remove it if the information is incorrect such as wrong business, or you do not offer products or services
Things You Can Change
You will find set things you can change in your business profile. Here you can find a rundown of these items.
- Business Name: For instance, Google My Business may list your company name wrong
- Business address: You can’t change a country, and if you open a new location in another region, you need a new Google My Business profile
- Phone numbers: Google lets you store up to three phone numbers. Your primary number, and two more like a toll-free number for a help centre or a mobile number
- Website: You may have a new company URL. Make sure you are informing Google of this change
- Category: Many businesses change this over extended periods. It may not be changes you make, but Google’s category options may not fit correctly. Google does let you select nine additional categories right from the start.
- Business hours: It doesn’t matter if you have a virtual store or a brick and mortar store. You do need business hours listed correctly. Otherwise, potential customers may be expecting a response from your help centre to find there is no one there. You can list breaks, and state if your business is 24/7, also, you can set hours for holidays, etc.
- Business photos: Photos tend to outdate, so it is one thing you can change quickly in Google My Business.
How Do I Change My Business Name on Google?
- On your PC, sign in to Google My Business
- To the left, select ‘Info’
- Make any edits, yet ‘Click Apply’ after every alteration
- Once you complete all your edits, you will find everything is ‘Under Review’
You may find it takes up to 60-days to update, and you cannot change public info found on other sources.